Gel-Bright™ Laser Diode Gel Illuminator
A laser diode-based gel illuminator for visualizing fluorescent nucleic acid and protein gels. Avoids UV light hazards and offers exceptional performance for widely used green and red dyes.
The Gel-Bright™ Laser Diode Gel Illuminator features a novel laser diode (LD)-based illumination technology that offers comparable performance to UV transilluminators while avoiding the hazards of UV light which can damage skin and eyes. UV light can also induce cross-linking and nicking of DNA in samples. Unlike blue LED gel illuminators such as Dark Reader or Safe Imager™ that are not compatible with red dyes, the Gel-Bright™ Laser Diode Gel Illuminator works well with both green dyes and widely used red dyes like GelRed®, ethidium bromide (EtBr), and One-Step Lumitein™ Protein Gel Stain.
The Laser Diode Advantage
- Novel LD illumination: Superior performance for imaging fluorescent gels
- Brighter signal: More sensitive than UV for green dyes
- Versatile: Works well with both green and red dyes, unlike blue LED illuminators
- Safer: Eliminates UV light hazards for user and DNA samples
- Optimized lighting angle for even illumination
- Adjustable light intensity
- Multi-hinged adjustable amber filter for optimal signal
- Easy access to the gel for gel slice excision
- Compact and portable design
- Gel-Bright™ Imaging Hood included
Gel illuminators have traditionally relied on UV illumination for visualization of fluorescently labeled nucleic acids and proteins. However, UV-based imaging can damage skin and eyes, as well as your DNA samples. LED-based illuminators were developed as a safer alternative to UV, but often have high background and dimmer signal due to excessive ambient light and poor excitation efficiency.
Superior Performance Over Blue LED Iluminators
In partnership with Biotium, OMEC Medical has developed a new type of gel illuminator that uses LDs optimized for brighter and clearer fluorescent imaging of gels. The new laser diode-based Gel-Bright™ offers better sensitivity over UV-based transilluminators when imaging green dyes such as GelGreen® or SYBR® Green, as well as significantly better performance over blue LED gel illuminators for red dyes such as GelRed®, ethidium bromide (EtBr), and One-Step Lumitein™ Protein Gel Stain.
Convenient Imaging Hood Included
Capture an image of your gel with any device using the included Gel-Bright™ Imaging Hood. Simply place the imaging hood over the filter and image the gel through the small opening at the top using a camera or smart phone.
Note: Purchase of the Gel-Bright™ Laser Diode Gel Illuminator (E90005) includes the Gel-Bright™ Imaging Hood (E90005B). However, the Gel-Bright™ Imaging Hood (E90005B) may also be purchased as a standalone accessory.
Free Samples of Pre-Coated GelRed® & GelGreen® Agarose Included
Each purchase of a Gel-Bright™ Laser Diode Gel Illuminator will include a free sample of GelRed® Agarose LE (Cat. No. 41029-5G) and GelGreen® Agarose LE (Cat. No. 41030-5G). These are safer and more convenient pre-coated agarose formats that remove the extra step of adding dye to your agarose.
Safe Imager™ vs. Gel-Bright™ Laser Diode Gel Illuminator
Old Gel-Bright™ vs. Gel-Bright™ Laser Diode Gel Illuminator
Sensitive Gel Imaging Without UV Hazards
- GelGreen® and GelRed® Nucleic Acid Gel Stains
- EMBER500™ RNA Prestain Loading Dye
- Ethidium Bromide (EtBr)
- EvaGreen® Dye (Biotium) (direct detection of EvaGreen® PCR products)
- One-Step Lumitein™ and SYPRO® Ruby Protein Gel Stains
- SYBR® Green (Thiazole Green), SYBR® Gold (Oxazole Gold), SYBR® Safe, and similar dyes
Learn more about our sensitive and less hazardous GelRed® and GelGreen® Nucleic Acid Gel Stains as well as our One-Step protein gel stains.