ANEPPS dyes are fast responding membrane potential dyes (1). Biotium offers both Di-4-ANEPPS and Di-8-ANEPPS. Di-4-ANEPPS has the problem of being rapidly internalized in cells, so it is mainly used for short-term experiments. However, because Di-8-ANEPPS is more lipophilic, the dye is better retained in the outer leaflet of cell plasma membranes and thus more suitable for long-term membrane potential studies. Di-8-ANEPPS is also more photostable and less phototoxic than Di-4-ANEPPS (2,3).
- λEx/λEm (MeOH) = 498/713 nm*
- Orange red solid soluble in DMF, ethanol or DMSO
- Store at 4°C and Protect from light, especially when in solution
* Note that the spectra of styryl dyes generally undergo a large blue shift in lipids compared to organic solvent. See the spectra for styryl dyes in liposomes under product images.
1. J Neurosci 15, 1392 (1995).
2. Neuron 13, 1187 (1994).
3. Neuron 9, 393 (1992).
4. International Society for Advancement of Cytometry (2015), doi: 10.1002/cyto.a.22787